"I met the man I'm going to marry"

Welp, just got off the phone with one of my best friends. Its a Sunday night, and I inevitably have the Sunday blues which from what I understand, is a common occurrence with my generation and part of the reason for the recent development of "Sunday Funday". Back to getting off the phone with one of my best friends. She told me in a fairly sober voice "I think I met the man I'm going to marry." Gulp.

I should qualify tonight's retold conversation by saying that I do not keep close friends with girls that say "I think I met the man I'm going to marry" on a regular, serious basis. Its not that I have chosen to purposefully not keep close friends with girls that say that, but inevitably, when it comes to this topic, opposites do not attract in friendships and we non-fantasizing-marryers run in wolf packs. Not to say there aren't just as many Charlottes in my life as there are Samanthas, but the close-kinship-we're in this together friends do not throw out such cuss-phrases on a casual basis. So you can imagine what I'm thinking.

Or maybe you cant. Let me tell you then instead.


FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

Said friend then offers to put future husband on the phone so we can mobile-meet. So mobile-meet we do and he automatically gets the joke I tell as if they truly are MFEO.


SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

My excuses to her of why they won't work out quickly fade as we laugh, he listens, shows genuine interest in her long-distance Nor-Cal BF.

I know I can and will be truly madly deeply happy for her, whatever plays out. But the fear that resounds in my being is this....

Don't leave me behind.

When a close close friend gets married, what changes?
For one thing, there is less of a desire to hit the town and find some tail. Secondly, there is this sudden factor in the equation that requires some amount of consideration of someone else's schedule besides the good times needing to be had. And we haven't even touched on the sudden use of words/phrases like "we always" and "our budget" and "his parents". Boo, total buzz-kill.

Let me try to examine the positives, and this might solely only come from my own limited experience and my fantastical-utopian married ideal.

Lets say I really like the sig-oth. I get to hang out with two cool people instead of one. Lets say they help my friend be better in her strengths and grow as a person - sweet, no more late night convos cosigning her bull$^%? (kidding). Or even better, the True Man some friends are with - the one that has my back and protects and cares for me because I am a close friend of his lover. Such a benie. And lets not forget about the available friends this sig-oth might provide, or the million dollar yacht for 3 day weekends?

OK so at this point, it could really go either way. Guess I shouldn't freak out just yet.

I promise you now, friend, to not go Kristin Wiig on you and sabotage whatever it is that comes along (to the best of my ability, beyond that, its not in my control). Until then, please, Hold On For One More Day.

<3

Comments

Popular Posts